Monday, August 27, 2012

Six Google Chrome extensions you should think about using

I'm online a lot. In fact, I'm online constantly. Whether I'm working, blogging, doing some freelance writing, raising awareness of Cuban human rights issues or watching extremely important videos on YouTube, it always helps to have browser extensions that make viewing, saving, sharing and finding Web content easier.

Google does a great job of making those extensions easy to find and manage. There are also other plug-ins that I use several times a day. Here's a list of what I've found to be the most useful. I'm not going to bother writing my own summaries most of these extensions since their inclusion on the list amounts to my "endorsement" or them anyway.

Share button Shareaholic for Google Chrome
The easiest way to share interesting webpages using Facebook, Twitter, Email, Gmail, Plus, Reader, Bookmarks, and more...

Share links from within the browser, from any webpage, with anyone, using the same services you already know and love like Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, Evernote, Delicious, Digg, and more from one simple all-in-one browser extension.

Pinterest Pin It Button (also by Shareaholic)

Send images from any website to your pinboards.
The Easiest Way to Send images from any website to your pinboards.
Just like the official Pinterest Button that you see on some webpages, this extension also shows you the Pin count for each page as you surf around the web.

Note: I hate Pinterest, but have to use it for professional and other reasons. If you don't need to, stay off Pinterest. It won't add value, even by social media standards.

Scoop.It! for Google Chrome
Scoop.It isn't as ubiquitous as service as Pinterest or Twitter, but if you're into content curation, you might want to check it out. I prefer it over platforms like Paper.li because it gives me a bit more control over what makes it in.
That major benefit to this (and other extensions just like it) is that Scoop.It's official site only offers an obnoxious bookmarklet.
Here's a video explaining Scoop.It! in case you're not familiar:

Use the Evernote extension to save things you see on the web into your Evernote account. It even lets you search through your notes.
Evernote Web Clipper is the best way to remember all of the great stuff you see online. Forget about bookmarks and open tabs, save the actual web page - text, links, images and all with a single click.

Make calls, send SMS, preview Inbox, and get notified of new messages. (US only)

This extension adds a button to Chrome that lets you seamlessly pushes links, maps, and currently selected text and phone numbers to your Android device.


I use all of these very heavily. If you try them, you might find that they're not quite your style. For various reasons, there are extensions I thought I would come to rely heavily on (like Google+ extensions and the HootSuite Hootlet), but ended up almost never touching. Different strokes, I guess.



1 comment:

  1. Google Chrome extensions have become a small hobby of my lol.
    I love Scoop.it and I also use Buffer and Hootlet. Thanks for sharing your list.

    ReplyDelete